Tuesday 6 December 2011

spiral plait cane-toppers

Plaiting is one of my favourite basketry techniques. These spiral plait cones are simple and quick to make from lots of different woody materials.  I made these from  willow but you could use dogwood, vines or any garden prunings that are flexible enough to wrap around your wrist without snapping.  They make perfect cane-toppers to pop on the end of bamboo plant supports.  Useful if you don't want to risk poking your eyes out when weeding the beds!

I've also used them or given them to friends as festive decorations - a crafty, green, DIY alternative to shop-bought Christmas decorations.  You just need to tie on a loop of raffia or string to hang them on a tree or in the home.

Daniel Dohgerty, who was a fellow student on my Creative Basketry course in 2001, showed me how to make them in a simple cardboard jig - a great technique if you want to get children involved. Thanks Daniel, where are you now I wonder?  Last seen following your heart to Australia to make baskets and babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment